Weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery has proved its major role in control of Diabetes patients, specially those who are over weight or obese. Diabetes is a growing problem that affects millions throughout the world. It is a disorder that if overlooked can lead to serious diseases; cardiovascular ailments, problems related to vision, kidney problems and many more. While medication tries to regulate your blood sugar levels, it is not always sufficient alone.
Medication along with changes in your diet and lifestyle can still not improve your condition in certain cases. At times it is hard to increase the insulin production in a person’s body even after administering medicines solely known for their efficacy. Such kind of diabetic patients can therefore benefit from a Weight loss (Bariatric) surgery.
What is a Weight loss or Bariatric surgery?
Weightloss or Bariatric surgery doesn’t refer to a single operative method. It involves a host of surgical procedures conducted on a person to rid him or her of obesity. Obesity in combination with diabetes can make a person’s life miserable. The treatment of one can come in the way of curing the other. A diabetic patient who also suffers from obesity usually finds it hard to lose weight in spite of exercising or being on diet.
Surgery comes to their rescue. This kind of surgery should be fallen back upon as the lender of last resort that is to say when other solutions have not helped. Bariatric surgery is always performed under skilled supervision. It might include reduction of the size of your stomach, removal of a portion of the stomach, or even gastric bypass surgery.
Bariatric surgery helps to control Diabetes
Diabetes can be of two basic kinds;
Type 1 diabetes in which the body produces no amount of insulin.
Type 2 diabetes in which the body produces an insufficient amount of insulin or Gestational diabetes that pregnant women tend to contract.
Bariatric surgery proves to be very advantageous for patients of Type 2 diabetes:
- Surgery lowers blood sugar levels considerably. Research shows people with acute diabetes made huge improvements after having undergone a Bariatric surgery. Their blood sugar levels dropped by a noticeable percentage and they felt healthier. Reduced blood sugar is an almost immediate effect in some while for others it does take some time.
- Bariatric surgery gives a control over cholesterol, blood pressure and triglyceride levels.
- The impressive benefits of this operation for a Type 2 diabetes patient are not superficial or temporary. If the patient adheres to the lifestyle prescribed by a doctor, takes medication regularly and follows the basics of post- operative care he or she is likely to remain beyond the ambit of this metabolic disorder.
- It successfully takes care of ailments resulting from diabetes.
- Bariatric surgery can eliminate the need for medication or it can reduce the dosage of medicines you take.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!